Thursday 15 April 2010

Bats are out right now in SE Queensland because they are "taking advantage of the flowering melaleucas and bloodwoods before they fly north", says my local paper. In winter they fly north due to the cold.

But right now they are out and about at night, feeding.

So it should have been no surprise that I frightened a couple of the harmless mammals while walking home last night. It was just down the end of my street, near the river. As I walked past a dark tree there was a violent rustle before a triangular shape shot out of the foliage, taking flight. This happened twice in quick succession.

It shocked me but things are usually so quiet around here that I wasn't afraid. In fact, it was delightful to be reminded that I live in a rural area where wild animals routinely forage for feed at all hours. Birds wake me up in the morning and tell me when the sun is about to rise, if I'm up exceptionally early.

This doesn't happen much of late as the colder weather means I sleep soundly. Cold makes me tired. And so, right now, I'm off to bed.

No comments: