Sunday 19 July 2015

A visit to South Newtown

A friend wanted to buy a retro standard lamp today so I walked to Glebe to have brunch in a well-known cafe and then together we made our way on foot to Newtown, going past the turn-off to Enmore Road and around the corner toward St Peters to where there are a number of second-hand shops.

This sign was plastered to a sheet-steel municipal garbage bin set at a slight angle on the footpath, due to some sudden impact no doubt. I had some trouble working out what it means and I have to say that the meaning still eludes me, so if anyone knows then please let me know. The bin turned out to be a bit on-the-nose, by the way, so I found myself moving up the footpath some way to escape its noxious odor.

The bin is situated right outside one of the second-hand stores located in this part of Newtown. It has to be said that there are no second-hand stores located to the north of this sign, so from this fact I can assume - not without reason, I think - that the days of the second-hand store in Newtown are probably numbered. Nevertheless, we did find a suitable candidate for inclusion in my friend's apartment, so when we caught a cab at the kerb near the Dendy Cinema it was with our hands full.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Matthew, Olga here. Nice to read your posts. The sign in question in Newtown translates from Spanish as: there are no races, only racists. I didn't need Google Translate for this one for obvious reasons, but I find it comes in handy for other languages I do not speak. I managed to get a very accurate translation of a whole page in Chinese recently. There is a word limit in the box, so I split the page and voila, translation done.

Matthew da Silva said...

Thanks for the information, Olga. Hope you are well. I actually made my way up to Newtown again today to buy some coffee at Campos in Missenden Road. Campos were recommended to me by Ant. I have been very happy with them. Usually I get the coffee delivered by post but I decided to take advantage of clear skies to go on foot today.