Monday 31 July 2017

Front matter in Kindle books

I've been using my Kindle for a while now and it contains dozens of books but today for the first time I got to thinking about how the copyright information - which used to be part of a book's front matter - has migrated to the back of Kindle books. I don't want to be a fuddy-duddy about this but the virtue of separating this information out from the rest of the front matter quite escapes me, and if anyone has a good idea of the reason it was done I'd be glad to hear it. The provenance information for a book is essential for readers to know, and should be easy to access and clear. Below is the front matter of a second-hand book printed in 1982 I just received in the mail, it's a history of the area I live in and it was written by an academic.


No comments: